Monday, August 07, 2006

Blogs at the Edinburgh Fringe

Did you catch the BBC News item last night about blogs at the Festival? Have a look here for the full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5239884.stm

Seems there are three different Fringe productions tapping into the world of online writers, and one of them is based entirely on British blogs. One of the people whose blog is being used for this show comments that the need to confess is still very much with us, but that nowadays we tend to confess to the community at large, via the blogosphere, rather than to a priest.


I hadn’t thought of it like that, and I’m not sure I agree. I don’t feel as though I am ‘confessing’ in my blog, but I certainly do have an urge to ‘reveal all’, which is not quite the same thing. Also to talk about the stresses in my life. But if there was something I was actually ashamed of, I don’t think I would blog about it. And I try to respect the privacy and dignity of others, such as family and friends, which makes it more difficult to be completely frank and open in a blog.

In Google Images I found just the cartoon to illustrate this post, but it is clearly marked ‘copyright’, so I can only direct you to it here:
http://tinyurl.com/moll5 where it is one of four cartoons on the page.

No comments: