Thursday, May 10, 2007

My challenge

Well! It's been a busy four days while I set up my new blog. I've been glued to the computer for most of each day, which leaves me rigid and aching by the evening, but what the hell! I've transferred most of the old life story posts, re-edited them, and added new material. Today I have started writing new material about the next stage of my life in Birmingham, aged 8 to 11. Not a huge advance in terms of my accumulated years, but I feel I am over the hump now, and that memories are beginning to flow more convincingly. It is surprising how much more you start to remember once you start.

I've altered the name once - let's hope Google catches up with the fact eventually. The Blogger Help section doesn't suggest that there is any risk attached to changing it.

I often wake about 4 am, but don't usually go down for breakfast till around 7. This morning I spent the time thinking about how I could contrive a picture header for the new blog; then when I came down at 7 and switched on (always the first thing I do), I found I had done one before even eating my bowl of cereal. I am very pleased with myself for being able to put together bits and pieces of computer knowledge to make it work. It's not wholly satisfactory as a finished product, and I may go back to simple words eventually, but it was fun to do. I had to find an image and then stre-e-e-tch and stre-e-e-tch it to make it fill the header box.


I did one for this blog too, but it doesn't fill the space so well, so I'm not going to use it. It's probably impossible to recognise the coffin in it anyway!

So - now I think I'll take a break, and maybe do some washing and ironing tomorrow, collect my new glasses, change my pin numbers, and generally get back to normal life.

1 comment:

Julie Oakley said...

I am so impressed. And I love your new blog - it's much clearer having the auto-biography separately. I wish my dad would get into blogging, but he is so negative about attempting anything new. He once wrote an essay about his childhood in the war, which is such a great thing to leave for his grandchildren, but he hasn't done anything beyond that one flurry of enthusiasm - which is such a shame.