Thursday, November 29, 2007

A day that could have started better

My birthday dawns and I am up early to switch on and read all the greetings by email that I am expecting. Then I'm going to post a birthday blog, which I've already drafted. But what happens? I can't access my server. This is outrageous! Even on an ordinary day this would be scarcely bearable, inducing acute traumatic stress. But today of all days.


I slope off back to bed with a cup of tea, and sulk until the window cleaner arrives, and I have to jump out of bed quickly to avoid embarrassment. When he's gone I decide I may as well get up anyway, go into the bathroom for a shower - and find that a large wasp has come to join me. Most unusually I am able to persuade it to leave by the window - I am in generous mood today, despite my frustration, and do not attack it with the fly swatter.

When I get downstairs, there is still no reaching my server, and I am left aimless and deprived until my good friend Keith rings me. He checks out my server's website for me, where the status report is all green for GO; he suggests I just switch off and switch on again. I do, and it works. So here I am.

This afternoon, Sarah Jane is bringing her daughter Chloe to have tea with me, and this evening one of my sons will be visiting, so the day will not end as it began. I also have the promise of a lunch party in a couple of weeks' time, at a venue of my choice here in my own village, when half a dozen or so of my on-line mates will be driving up to take me out. I do so like birthdays that go on an on, don't you?

Later, maybe I shall post the piece I prepared in advance, if it still fits my mood.

2 comments:

Sheila Joynes' Musical Diary said...

Happy Birthday, Judith! And may you have many more preferably without internet frustrations!

Love from us both
S&S

Julie Oakley said...

Happy birthday Judith. That having to organise your own party (in the previous post) is something I think a few of us are familiar with. I think there are some people who are surrounded by surprise-party giving relatives and some that aren't. I always wanted to be one of the former but have ended up being one of the latter.

However, I think its a sign of being a good mother when your children completely take you for granted. I always fussed over and treated my own mother because she made me feel so guilty, insecure and unloved - not a good reason for my affectionate behaviour.